Labels

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eco Garden Update

Gardening Days
Thursdays 3-6pm
Sundays 3-6pm

Behind New Res

Come and help plant out,
learn about gardening
or just to have a look
and get some fresh herbs
.

Greetings Gardeners and Intrigue Individuals,
The Eco Garden Project at Wagga campus is cracking along. We’ve had our major planting last Saturday and it was swell.
Recent Additions:With the help of volunteers we have managed to put up an arbour at the front gate which will make a grand entrance, especially once our creeper is growing over. The fruit trees have been settle in nicely and over the next few years will grow to feed future students. Trees include a quince, double apple, fig and a lemonade species (cross between lemon and mandarin).
We are currently making a shade shelter for people as well as growing plants. So if you want somewhere else to study this is a great hide away.

What plants can I use? Parsley and few broccoli heads, lovely lavender (smells nice and looks good), and rosemary (great with roast veggies).
Available soon: Italian parsely, rocket, mints, and lemon grass.
You have no idea how to identify these? Then pop along on our Gardening Days and check out what’s growing.
Soil Savvy Story

As novice garden coordinator I was mortified to find that the soil I was hoping to plant into had been tested and come back as too acidic to use... “Battery Acid” I was told! Eek! So in my wisdom I bought some sulphur to increase the pH. Turns out sulphur does the opposite. You think 2 years of science and a head on my shoulders would have prevented me from putting it on the garden. Well... no. Opps! So now I’m sourcing some lime and I’m going to get myself a soil testing kit to make sure I get it right. Quality compost will be the best thing soil additive, but that’s still brewing.
Lesson = Everyone can have a crack at gardening. Even if you are learning as you go.
Happy Spring Days to you!
Gem & The Garden Crew
more info: ecoactivecsu AT gmail DOT com




No comments:

Post a Comment